Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Men's Soccer Wins Overtime Thriller vs. Worcester State

Men's Soccer Wins Overtime Thriller vs. Worcester State

NEW LONDON, Conn. – The Mitchell College men's soccer team picked up its first win of the season in dramatic fashion on Tuesday, topping Worcester State University by a 3-2 final in double overtime at Alumni Field.

Cristian Barrales scored just 11 seconds into the second overtime frame to send the Mitchell sideline into a frenzy. He finished with a pair of goals in the contest as the Mariners improved to 1-2-0 overall. Bryan Ramos also scored his first goal of the season in the 88th minute to force overtime.

Worcester State got goals from Alfred Koroma and Lincoln Henry, both of which came in the second half. The Lancers dropped to 1-4-0 overall on the season.

Barrales scored his first career goal just 3:05 into the contest. Christian Urena fed a ball across the box that Barrales finished off to give the Mariners the early 1-0 lead. Mitchell carried the one-goal advantage into the halftime intermission.

The Lancers tied the game early in the second half following a free kick from the midfield stripe. Ethan Melia lofted a service ball into that box that Koroma headed into the top-left corner of the goal, just over the reach of Mitchell keeper Seth Strader.

The score remained knotted at 1-1 until the 84th minute when Strader came out of goal to clear away a loose ball on the end line. Henry collected the ball in the attacking midfield and quickly put a shot on goal from 40 yards out. The shot dipped under the crossbar at the far post for the go-ahead goal with 6:44 remaining in regulation.

Time appeared to be running out on the Mariners in the final moments of regulation. Worcester State had the ball locked in its offensive end, but a shot attempt resulted in a Strader save. He then launched a kick down the field that got behind the back line of the defense, and Mason Rubino and goalie Henri Guilmette collided while both going for the ball. Ramos was there to clean up the loose ball, volleying home the equalizer from 15 yards out into the lower-left corner.

After the first overtime failed to yield a goal, Mitchell opened the second OT by playing a deep ball by William Ferguson into its offensive end. Rubino was there on the right wing to track down the ball, and he dribbled into the 18 before slipping a pass through the middle of the box for Barrales. The rookie turned and tucked a left-footed shot inside the left post for the winner, just out of reach of the diving Guilmette.

Strader finished with six saves against 17 total shots. Guilmette ended the day with four saves against 13 shots.

Mitchell will next host SUNY Old Westbury on Saturday, September 14 at 1 p.m. Worcester State returns to action at Dean College on Saturday at noon.